The Institute for Energy Efficiency engages in many activities and programs that involve both business-related entertainment and social activities in order to further our ultimate mission.
The Institute most often reimburses for Business Meetings. These entertainment expenses are meals or light refreshments and related services (e.g., refreshments, labor charges, room rental, equipment rental, and similar expenditures) incurred in connection with meetings of employees to conduct official University business. At least one University employee or other individual representing the University must be present at any business meeting that includes non-University persons.
In addition, we host and reimburse for Programmatic Activities. These are meetings and events with expenditures for meals or light refreshments incurred in connection with student enrichment, training programs, food provided as a necessary part of a community-support activity (e.g., refreshments provided at a workforce development event), and similar activities.
Maximum Rates for Meals & Light Refreshments (Per Person)
*These amounts include tax, service, and delivery charges.
Requesting a Reimbursement
- The host and/or involved faculty will submit requests for reimbursement for entertainment expenses with the visiting guest(s) by filling out an “Entertainment Reimbursement Form.” This should be turned into the Financial Coordinator with accompanying itemized receipts.
- Please be advised that meals for entertainment purposes are not usually allowed on contracts and grants.
- If any receipts for expenses are unobtainable/lost, please also submit a “Declaration of Missing Evidence” form along with a bank statement outlining the expense.
- Certain situations require additional approvals (e.g. reimbursement for alcohol, expenses that exceed the per person maximum rates, etc.). In these situations, a completed “Prior & Exceptional Approval Form for Entertainment” must be submitted with any accompanying receipts to the Financial Coordinator.
- After reviewing the completed forms and accompanying documentation, the Financial Coordinator creates an Entertainment Form 5, obtains appropriate signatures of approval, and submits all original documentation to Accounting for final processing.
The maximum M&IE rate for the Fiscal Year 2022-2023 is $79.00 and is based on the highest per diem rate available for all UC locations as published by US General Services Administration for Fiscal 2023. For questions, check BUS 79, Appendix A, the BFS Website, or ask the Financial Coordinator.