In accordance with UC campus, federal and state rules/regulations, the Institute for Energy Efficiency is responsible for managing personnel processes including but not limited to: hires, separations and payroll/funding adjustments; electronic time reporting via Kronos; benefits (initial guidance only - Human Resources has authority); support of faculty and search committees during academic recruitment processes, academic appointments, reappointments, merits, and promotions; coordination of visa applications, extensions, and transfers; and ensuring e-verify federal regulations are met. 

Before any employee begins working on a project administered by IEE, they must first be authorized to work (i.e., U.S. Citizen or visa that provides work authorization). Any questions regarding work authorization may be directed to the Academic Personnel Analyst.  

If an employee is no longer working on an IEE-administered project, the employee must be separated (IEE appointment ended or terminated in our payroll systems). Please notify the Academic Personnel Analyst to ensure pay accuracy.

  • New Hire | Employee has never been in the UC Payroll system - hire paperwork is required before the employee can begin (I-9 Work Authorization, W-4 Tax Withholding, University Oath/Patent, etc).

  • Rehire (from a separation) | Employee was previously employed by UC and a record exists within the UC Payroll system, but employee has since been separated from the University requiring re-authorization - hire paperwork required.

  • Rehire/Concurrent Hire (from a different department) | Employee has an active appointment with another department on campus and there has been no break in service to the University. Financial support and job record can be added to the payroll system without hire paperwork. Documentation of work authorization and approved appointment (if academic) may be requested from the alternate department for IEE records.

  • Separation/End of Appointment | If an employee is no longer working on the IEE-administered project, written notification must be provided as soon as possible to ensure no overpayment occurs. The Academic Personnel Analyst will determine whether a separation needs to be processed by working with the PI, employee, and/or alternate department.

Timekeeping is the process of tracking and reporting hours worked and leave time taken. This process generates pay for some employees, and tracks leave taken and earned for others. Employees, supervisors, and timekeepers all have a vital role to play in the timekeeping process:

  1. Employees report hours worked and leave time taken on their timecards
  2. Employees approve hours reported (or blank timecard) when finalized by the last day of the pay period
  3. Supervisors review and approve their employees’ timecards
  4. Payroll Managers (IEE’s Academic Personnel Analyst) review and sign off on their unit's timecards
  5. Pay Upload occurs at 11am, generating paychecks and leave balance updates

Upon getting hired by the Institute for Energy Efficiency and entered in the campus payroll system, an employee gets access to Kronos, the electronic timekeeping system at UCSB. Each user can access Kronos with their UCSB NetID and password. Automatic reminders will be generated (bi-weekly / monthly) to ensure employees enter their time on schedule. The Academic Personnel Analyst will send additional reminders as needed.

Useful Links:


  • Kronos is accessible anywhere you have internet but requires Flash, so most smartphones/tablets are not compatible.
  • Please always approve your timecard even if you have no hours to report. This certifies that you did not work during the period and won’t have any hours to report late.
  • Timely submissions are extremely important. Each member of the approval chain needs time to review and approve before the pay upload. If there are any questions, do not hesitate to contact the Academic Personnel Analyst for help.

The Academic Personnel Analyst is the first point of contact for most benefits inquiries and will act as a liaison between the employee and appropriate HR contact as needed. See below for helpful resources & contacts:



  • General Benefits Education, (805) 893-2489
  • General Inquiries - Front Desk Human Resources, (805) 893-2854
  • Full HR Directory

The Institute for Energy Efficiency works with faculty to process open recruitments for academic positions via UC Recruit. Performing an open recruitment ensures that our department complies with equal opportunity & affirmative action laws required by the Federal government. Our recruitment and academic personnel activities are monitored by regular UC-wide audits performed by the Office of Federal Contract Compliance Programs, OFCCP.

If you would like to recruit for an academic position, please view and complete a UC Recruit Search Plan Worksheet with the position description, basic and desired qualifications, required and optional materials and a list of interview questions for top candidates. Please also have an idea in mind of the date range, urgency and approximate salary of the position.

Recruitments must be advertised to a diverse audience based on Federal and UC-mandated requirements.

For all correspondence regarding recruitments, please contact the Academic Personnel Analyst.

What titles REQUIRE a recruitment?   

Project Scientist Series,  Specialist Series,  Researcher Series,  Academic Coordinator Series

What titles do NOT REQUIRE a recruitment?  

Postdoctoral Scholars,  Graduate Student Researchers,  Student Assistants

International visitors are selected to participate in the Institute’s research projects through open recruitment activities or through collaboration with affiliated international organizations. The visitor and IEE work together with guidance from the Office of International Students & Scholars (OISS) to comply with Federal rules and regulations of DS-2019 issuance. Once the visitor receives a DS-2019, they may apply for a U.S. J-1 Visa and enter the U.S.

IEE sponsors J-1 visas in the following categories:

Short-Term Scholar

  • 6-month maximum
  • Bachelor’s Degree required
  • Most common category for brief visits for collaborative research

Research Scholar

  • 5-year maximum
  • Bachelor’s Degree required
  • Most common category for Postdoctoral Researchers and other long-term appointments requiring Academic Personnel approval
  • Upon completion of program, visitor must wait 24 months (24-month bar) before returning to start another program

Documents required when applying for a DS-2019 / J-1 Visa:

  1. Passport/Visa Information
  2. C.V.
  3. Invitation or Appointment Letter (IEE processes & provides)
  4. Proof of Degree (Diploma, conferral letter, etc.)
  5. Proof of Finances (bank statement, letter of financial support from home institution, etc.)
  6. Proof of Insurance

*All documents submitted in a language other than English must be translated

Important Links


Some Federal Contracts/subcontracts (NOT GRANTS) administered by IEE can include an E-Verify clause, mandating that any employee hired on the project must be E-Verified before he/she can begin work.

The E-Verify system is operated by the United States Citizenship and Immigration Service (USCIS) through the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) in partnership with the Social Security Administration (SSA).  E-Verify electronically compares information contained on the Form I-9 with records contained in the Social Security Administration (SSA) and DHS databases to verify the identity and employment eligibility of employees working on federal government contracts and subcontracts.