Registration Opens for the Third Annual Santa Barbara Summit on Energy Efficiency
Industry, academia, and government to address the latest in science and technology for a sustainable energy future
SANTA BARBARA, Calif. – March 1, 2011 – The Institute for Energy Efficiency at the University of California, Santa Barbara today announced the initial speaker lineup for the third annual Santa Barbara Summit on Energy Efficiency, to be held at the Four Seasons Biltmore hotel in downtown Santa Barbara on April 26-27, 2011. The Summit will bring together leaders in industry, academia, and government for two days of in-depth discussions on the latest advancements in the fast-moving sector of energy efficiency.
Confirmed keynote speakers thus far include:
- Bill Brinkman, Director of the Office of Science, U.S. Department of Energy
- Matt Rogers, Director, McKinsey & Company San Francisco and former Senior Advisor to Energy Secretary Steven Chu
Additional speakers confirmed thus far include:
- John Bowers, Professor, Electrical and Computer Engineering, UCSB
- Paul De Martini, Chief Technology Officer and Vice President of Strategy for Smart Grid, Cisco
- Jim Dehlsen, Co-Founder and former Chairman & CEO of Clipper Windpower
- Pradeep Dubey, Senior Principal Engineer, Intel
- Steve Hauser, Vice President, Grid Integration, National Renewable Energy Laboratory
- Umesh Mishra, Professor, Electrical and Computer Engineering, UCSB
- KT Moortgat, Partner, Mohr Davidow Ventures
- Daniel Morse, Professor, Molecular Genetics and Biochemistry, UCSB
- Ryne Raffaelle, Director, National Center for Photovoltaics, National Renewable Energy Laboratory
- Ramamoorthy Ramesh, Program Manager, Solar Energy Technologies Program, U.S. Department of Energy
- Horst Simon, Deputy Director, Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory
- Jim Speck, Professor and Department Chair, Materials, UCSB
- Saul Zambrano, Director, Integrated Demand-Side Management Core Products Team, Pacific Gas & Electric
- Lynda Ziegler, Executive Vice President, Power Delivery Services, Southern California Edison
The Summit agenda will focus on the current administration’s major investments in energy efficiency R&D and will include a session on the Department of Energy’s latest program aimed to reduce the cost of solar power to $1/Watt. Sessions will also be held on the evolution of the Smart Grid and the related potential for energy efficiency and renewables. Additional areas of focus include supercomputing, UCSB research highlights on silicon photonics, battery storage, and solid-state lighting, and expediting innovation from the lab to market in today’s economy.
“The annual Summit serves as a platform for driving forward advancements and initiatives in energy efficient technologies”, said John Bowers, Director of the Institute. “This year, leadership from industry, academia, government, and the Department of Energy’s national research labs will all be on hand for discussions on the latest developments and opportunities in the field”.
Registration is now open for the 2011 Santa Barbara Summit on Energy Efficiency. For more information about the Summit and to register, please visit: http://iee.ucsb.edu/sbsee2011
the Institute for Energy Efficiency:
The Institute for Energy Efficiency is an interdisciplinary research institute dedicated to researching and developing technological solutions that will forever change how energy is produced, used, and managed. The Institute’s cutting-edge interdisciplinary research activities leverage the considerable expertise of U.C. Santa Barbara’s highly acclaimed faculty, which includes five Nobel Laureates. By fostering collaborations, sponsoring research, and expediting the commercialization of new technologies, the Institute strives to deliver significant advances in energy efficiency in the near term.
Whitney Wegener Kopf
whitney [at] iee [dot] ucsb [dot] edu
adavison [at] engineering [dot] ucsb [dot] edu